A 501c(3), Maydm provides girls and youth of color in grades 6-12 with the skills, experiences, and connections to pursue careers in and change the face of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). We envision a world where all students know that a career in STEM is possible for them; a world where all students can pursue their dreams as entrepreneurs, developers, engineers, or professors in a STEM field.
Maydm, as an organization, was founded as a response to the overwhelming lack of technical training that meets the needs of low-income students, girls, and youth of color. Our programs offer opportunities for youth to develop knowledge and skills in science, technology, and engineering. Throughout the year we offer one-day workshops independently and in partnership with other community organizations. In these sessions, students gain introductory insights into a STEM topic and begin growing their interest in STEM. Each summer, we offer a series of multi-week immersive programs where students gain in-depth technical knowledge, visit local companies to learn about STEM career paths, and engage in critical conversations on confidence, equity, and innovation. These experiences create opportunities and experiences for students who may not have otherwise been able to participate in holistic STEM learning, for students to change the face of STEM.
We are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic instructor to deliver Maydm educational programs in-house as well as on-site with our partner schools and organizations. Program topics are varied and reflect in-demand and popular STEM fields. This is a chance for you to engage youth in a student-centric educational platform. We are also especially seeking women or gender non-binary individuals, people of color, and bilingual (i.e. English/Spanish, English/Hmong) candidates for this position. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you think you have some, but not all of the requirements listed below. You may be exactly what we're looking for and if so, we'll teach you the rest!
Schedule & Location
The typical schedule is weekday business hours (9a - 5p, weekdays), but occasional weekend and evening work is required for Maydm events and meetings. Maydm is conveniently located on the near-East side of Madison, WI. Hybrid schedule 3 days in office and two days at home - Monday and Wednesday are required in office days.
Lesson planning, curriculum development, and other administrative tasks are included in weekday business hours, not in addition. Actual time spent in the classroom is approximately 40% of work hours. Summer programs do not follow our hybrid schedule.
This position is expected to be available for the majority of June - early August for summer programs.
● Bachelor’s Degree, or comparable training or experience in education and instruction.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
● Be confident to both give your own opinions and ideas, and to take suggestions, direction, and opinions from other team members.
● Comfortable adapting your work over time and learning new skills as they are needed to help the organization.
● Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel between Maydm’s office and offsite school-based and partner programs in the greater Madison area.
● Background in STEM required, including engineering experience and one or more of the following: information technology, computer science, media arts and animation, math, or game development and design.
● 3+ years of successful or demonstrable experience teaching one or more of the above subjects to an academically and culturally diverse classroom community. (Teaching, mentoring, tutoring, volunteering all acceptable types of experience)
● Demonstrated experience and maturity in managing a classroom of middle and/or high school students.
● Experience or knowledge of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles or willingness to complete DEI training (we provide the training as part of your mandatory training for the position).
● Technical industry experience is a plus.
● Bilingual (English, Spanish) preferred.
The Lead Instructor reports to the Program Manager and is key in developing and delivering Maydm’s educational programs. The Lead Instructor works closely with the Program Manager and other Lead Instructor/s to deliver Maydm programs in alignment with our vision and mission and provides leadership and direction to seasonal and assistant instructors.
Essential Job Functions:
● Developing and updating the curriculum for the school year and summer programming to keep up with advancements in technology, STEM and Out-of-School (OST) educational pedagogy.
● Being available to assist students during Maydm’s open office hours with equipment, supplies, and instruction.
● Working with the Programs Team to keep supplies and equipment organized and accessible, up-to-date, and in good working condition for staff and Maydm participants.
● Recording data points to help Maydm succeed, i.e., attendance, curriculum comprehension, learning milestones, and disciplines available.
● Teaching and supporting Maydm curriculum throughout the year at schools, summer programs, and one-time events.
● Setting up and taking down program materials for programs.
● Working with the Programs Team to train seasonal instructors on curriculum during the school year and summer.
● Working with the Programs Team to supervise summer/school year instructors on-site at partner schools and organizations.
● Assist with program and organization promotion and outreach.
The salary range for this position is $46,000 - $52,000 based on demonstrated experience and credentials. Maydm also offers health, vision, and dental plans, sick leave, long-term disability, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, paid holidays, personal time off, a casual and inclusive work environment, and a flexible hybrid (part remote/in-person) work schedule.
How to Apply
Please provide your resume, cover letter and salary requirements via email to email@example.com. If you have submitted your resume through Indeed, LinkedIn, etc, you must also complete this step to be considered for the position.
This position will remain open until filled. Target start date is March 2024.
The above list is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the position. The list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Maydm, Inc. (“Maydm”) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Maydm strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. All Maydm employees, other workers, and representatives are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.